Contact Us: 780-432-1962
#320 3203 - 93 Street Edmonton, AB, Canada T6N 0B2

FAQs - Frequently Asked Questions

Here are some frequently asked questions. If you are unable to find the information you are seeking here, please contact the Registrar by:


Who should be registered as a member with the College?

Under the Regulated Forestry Profession Act (the RFPA), any person qualified for registration and practicing forestry on public land should be registered with the College. 


Do I have to be registered?

Under the RPFA, a person must apply for registration if:

the person
(a) is qualified to meet the requirements of section 22(2) for registration as a regulated member, and
(b) intends to provide any or all of the following:
    (i) professional services on public land;
    (ii) the teaching of the practice of a regulated profession to regulated members or students of the regulated profession;
    (iii) the supervision of regulated members who provide professional services on public land.


What does "practice forestry" mean?

The RPFA defines the practice of forestry as:

“practice of forestry” means the development, acquisition or application of scientific principles and practices relating to forestry, products of forested land and integrated management of forested land.


What types of practice does this include?

 includes, without limitation:
(i) the inventory, classification, appraisal and evaluation of forests and forested land,
(ii) the development and implementation of programs for harvesting and renewal of forests and forested land,
(iii) the conservation, reclamation, improvement or protection (including protection from fire) of forests, forested land or forest soils for forestry purposes,
(iv) the preparation of forest resource management plans,
(v) the development of integrated resource management plans and administration of forested land,
(vi) the teaching of forestry at a college, technical institute or university, and
(vii) the conducting of research activities related to forestry;


What is a regulated member vs. a non-regulated member?

Registered Professional Forest Technologists (RPFT's) are all regulated members.  Non-Practicing, Student,and Associate members are non-regulated members. A regulated member meets the registration requirements and is regulated by the College.  


Information regarding membership can be found here:


What is an EPFT?

An RPFT is a regulated member who has completed the academic requirements and written the professional exam.  An RPFT holds a practice permit with no conditions, professional designation, sign off authority, and a professional seal.


Am I eligible for registration with the College?

If you have graduated from a two year forest technology diploma program from one of the approved institutions are legally entitled to work in Canada, and have proof of a good character reference you are eligible to register with the College.


What institutions are recognized by the College?

The NAIT Forestry program is the benchmark in which the College determines eligibility for application. 

Other eligible institutions include forestry programs from:

  • Sir Sanford Flemming College
  • Alqonquin College
  • Maritime College of Forest Technology
  • Selkirk College

Please go to the following link for a more comphrehensive list:

As programs are continuously growing and changing, so is the list of eligible diploma programs.  To find out if your two year diploma program is eligible, please contact the Registrar at or 780.761.8733.


What if my diploma is not eligible for registration as a regulated member?

You may apply as an associate member.  An associate member will hold a diploma from a  nautral resources or environmental sciences program at a recognized training school or vocational college and have had one or more years of training. 

An associate member commits to meet the requirements to become a regulated member.


How do I register with the College?

Now that you have determined that you should be registered, you can apply for registration with CAPFT.  The first step is to complete an online application form.  This link will take you to the online form:

You should then submit all of your supporting documents required to complete your application.

Ensure your member profile has ben updated with the following information:

  • Contact information; home and work mailing address', email address', home and work telephone numbers; Please use an email address OTHER than your college/university address.
  • Employment information
  • Complete your annual online declaration


What do I need to register and complete my application?

In addition to the online application form, you will need to submit some important documents to complete your application. 

  • A copy of your post-secondary diploma
  • An up to date copy of your resume including specifice dates of post grad work experience.
  • 3 professional references
  • Your application fee
  • Your annual Declaration

These documents are necessary to perform a complete review of your application.  Without all listed documents, an application is considered incomplete.


How do I submit my documents?

Please submit all supporting documents to the Registrar through your member's login page by email at


What is a declaration?

Under the Registered Professional Forest Technologists Regulations (RPFTR) the Registrar requires evidence  that each member and any person applying for registration with the College is:

  • A Canadian citizen
  • Legally entitled to work in Canada
  • Has a good character and reputation

When determining if an applicant or member is of good character and reputation, the registrar must consider whether they:

  • Have been found by any institute or organization for unprofessional conduct
  • Have any outstanding criminal charges in this, or any other country
  • Have been convicted of a criminal offence in any country
  • Have been been found guilty of a breach of a university or similar code of conduct or of an academic infraction at any post-secondary education institution, and
  • Have any outstanding complaints or discipline matters with any professional organization where they have been previously registered.


How and when do I submit my Declaration?

An applicant will submit a declaration in their online application.  A member will submit their declaration annually when applying for their practice permit in November of each year.


I have submitted my online application and supporting documents to the College, now what?

Now your application will be reviewed.  You will be contacted by the College office that your submissions have been received, if any additional information is required, and the outcome of your application.


I have been accepted by the College, now what?

You are now a regulated member of the College.  Your annual responsibilities include:

  • Fulfilling your annual reporting requirements under the Continued Competency Program
  • Applying for your Annual Practice Permit
  • Completing your annual online declaration
  • Submitting your annual dues

You will obtain a sponsor.  Your sponsor must be a forestry professional who is a member in good standing with either CAPFT or CAPF.  Your sponsor will mentor you on being a member of the College and verify your work experience.  A sponsors form and information will be provided for you in your Welcome Package.  When you obtain a sponsor, they will fill out this form Sponsor Statement and you will submit it to the College for record.  When you have completed your 24 months work experience your sponsor will complete a Sponsors Report which you will submit to the College to verify your work experience is complete.  


What do I need to pass the Professional Exam?

A score of 65% or higher is required to pass the Exam.


What do I need to study for the Professional Exam?

Study sessions are held if demand supports it. A list of study matierials can be found here:


How do I register for the exam?

By contacting the CAPFT office.  You will be registered for the next available exam.  The Exam Director will maintain contact with registrants to deliver information regarding the exam. 


What are my obligations as a regulated member?

A regulated member is required to maintain membership in good standing with the College.  This includes: 

  • submit an annual summary of continuing forestry education activities,
  • apply for the annual practice permit
  • ensure that contact information is kept up to date 
  • abide by the Code of Ethics, Code of Conduct and the College Bylaws and Policies  
  • abide by the RFPA and RPFTR
  • Members are encouraged to become involved in the College through Committee and Council activities. 
  • Forest Technologists are knowledgeable, ethical and honourable professionals practicing forestry in the Province of Alberta


What is an Annual Practice Permit?

Each year you will apply for your annual practice permit.  The annual permit application consists of completing:

  • Your annual CCP reporting requirements
  • Your annual online declaration, and
  • Submitting your annual dues

Your annual practice permit application is due November 30th of each year and is performed online.

This permit is issued by the College as verification that each regulated member has maintained membership in good standing and met all requirements mandated by the RPFA. 

Depending on which register you are in, your practicer permit may have conditions.

Practice Permit


What is the Continuing Competence Program (CCP)?

Under the RPFA the College has established, by regulation, the CCP.  The CCP provides guidelines for regulated members to maintain competence and enhance the provision of professional services.


What are my obligations under the CC Program?

As a regulated member, you must meet the minimum requirements of 75 hours each reporting period.  Of that 75 hours, 45 must be Category 1; Structured Learning.

A reporting period is 3 consecutive years; the current reporting year including the past two reporting years.  A reporting period starts October 1st and ends September 30th.  Your CC hours are due to be reported by October 15th of each year.  Your CC activities will be reported online by logging in with your username and password and accessing "Enter Competencies."

Information explaining how to report your continued competencies can be found here


I was a student member and have now graduated from my post secondary program, now what?

A student is registered with the College as a non-regulated member.  Once a student has graduated from their program it is their responsibility to contact and notify the College. 


I am no longer practicing forestry, what do I do with my membership?

If you are temporarily not practicing forestry (ex: paternity leave) you may register as a non-practicing member. 

If you are retiring, you may retire your membership with the College.

If you are changing careers you may resign from the College.

What is a Non-Practicing Member?

A non-practing member is any member who is not practicing forestry providing profssional services, or receiving remuneration for professional services on any day of the year, 


What are the requirements for a Non-Practicing Member?

The annual dues for a non-practing member are $50.  There are no CCP reporting requirements as a non-practicing member.


How long can I remain a Non-Practicing Member?

A member may stay in the non-practicing register for up to 3 years, with option of extension, without having to re-write the professional exam. 

A member can stay in the non-practicing register for a longer period of time, but will re-write the professional exam when they wish to return to an active member.


Why does the College need my contact information? 

CAPFT's main form of communication is email.  Members will be updated on their membership status, upcoming events, continued competency opportunities, and CAPFT news.  Invoices for annual dues, due date reminders and deadlines are also sent by email. 

It is important that your contact and employment information is kept up to date so the College is able to contact a your with pertinant information regarding your membership.


What happens if I do not maintain my responsibilities as a member?

You will receive notification from the College of the issue to be rectified.  If not rectified in the appropriate timeline the College will procede with action under the RPFA, RPFTR, College Bylaws and Policies.  Where applicable, suspensions will ensue including applicable fees.  Cancellations will follow unresolved suspensions.  Notifications of suspensions and cancellations must be provided to employers by the College.